Mirror Glaze cakes, the new craze in cake decorating
These stunning cakes are going viral. Why is everyone going crazy over such a simple cake? The flawless mirror finish.
There’s something about the perfectly flawless cake that seems to amaze everyone, and if done right you should be able to see your reflection in the cake.
Would you like to try a mirror glaze cake? We’ve found a basic Chocolate Mirror Glaze recipe for you to have a go with at home!
Chocolate Mirror Glaze
- 2 teaspoons powdered gelatine
- 3.5 ounces (1/2 cup minus 1 tablespoon) cold water
- 3.5 ounces (1/2 cup minus 1 tablespoon) heavy cream
- 5.25 ounces (3/4 cup) white sugar
- 1.75 ounces (1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon) cocoa powder
- Pour half the water into a small dish and stir the gelatine into it. Allow it to sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients
- Combine the remaining water, cream and sugar in a small saucepan and bring it to a simmer
- Take the pan off the heat and add the gelatine, stirring until it’s fully dissolved
- Whisk in the cocoa until the mixture is smooth
- Strain the glaze into a glass bowl (metal will affect the taste)
- Allow it to cool for five minutes or so, until it’s right about 26° Celcius, before applying
- The pre-made glaze can be stored in the refrigerator and re-melted in a double boiler or in the microwave (a few 5-second bursts on high heat) for later use
Did this recipe work for you? Or do you have your own mirror cake glaze recipe that you would like to share? Leave us a comment and let us know!
Recipe courtesy of Joe Pastry
Chocolate Cake Image found at https://nz.pinterest.com/pin/398076054537133318/